TAKING APPLICATIONS! APPLY NOW.
We are delighted to welcome your application for the third round of IN OTHER WORDS.
Applications extended to close at midnight, Friday 5 October 2018.
You can learn about the IN OTHER WORDS residency below. IN OTHER WORDS artists will also have the opportunity to participate in the IN OTHER WORDS Festival, 22 - 24 February 2019 , celebrating art and culture in languages other than English.
Welcome to LOST IN BOOKS and our literary residency program, IN OTHER WORDS.
To translate this page, use the menu to the left of the 'In Other Words' logo.
The opportunity: A paid residency to develop new work in languages other than English, over eight weeks at LOST IN BOOKS, in Fairfield, South Western Sydney. Artists or artistic teams will be paid $2500 per project accepted into the residency. We are looking for writers, translators, illustrators, graphic novelists, poets...anyone making new literary works is welcome to apply alone or as a team.
The space: You will be given the use of a desk in a light-filled studio in the LOST IN BOOKS multilingual kids' bookshop. You will share the space with LOST IN BOOKS staff. You can also use our beautiful retail space to run workshops and community engagement, and our cafe area to take meetings.
The perks: We will offer you coffee, tea and treats from the cafe. We will help you to forge connections to a public hungry to read quality literature in their own languages. We will help you to connect with publishers. We provide you with the opportunity to be showcased in the annual IN OTHER WORDS Festival to celebrate literature and creative expression in languages other than English. We will offer you support from our creative team.
Our expectations: We expect that you will be part of making LOST IN BOOKS an inclusive, generous, enabling, joyful and fun place. We require you to deliver a community workshop, and to participate in an end-of-residency celebration. We hope that you will continue to contribute to a growing network of alumni after your residency, and to support the growth of quality literature in languages other than English in Australia. You will be required to provide a current Working with Children Check.
Intellectual property: The work you make remains yours - you retain copyright. However, we will ask you to grant us a licence to celebrate your work and our connection with you, on terms that we agree.
Our limitations: We do not have budget to support any flights or accommodation. Whilst we will work to help artists from outside Sydney to find affordable accommodation, you are responsible for finding your own suitable accommodation.
Assessment criteria: Your application will be considered by a panel of peers and LOST IN BOOKS staff. Criteria that we weigh in considering your application include:
- artistic excellence
- what connection to Western Sydney does this artist have? We seek to strike a balance between local artists in Western Sydney and those from farther afield, and to promote new collaborations.
- will the residency produce quality and distinctive work in languages other than English that may appeal to local audiences?
- how does this residency stand to contribute to the development or opportunities available to an artist, including through creative collaboration?
- how well will this artist engage with different sectors of the local community?
- what potential is there for public engagement with the work the artists are developing or producing during the residency?
- does this project contribute towards a shift in publishing cultures in Australia to better value works that begin in languages other than English?
- can we see a way to forge new pathways to publication and to market?
- how might this project contribute to other literary artists in Western Sydney?
We may require you to attend an interview. We undertake to provide feedback to all applicants. The decision of the panel is final.
Be bold, be experimental. We are likely to want to support your ideas!
Applications for the third IN OTHER WORDS residency close Friday 5 October 2018, at midnight.
Residency dates: Tuesday, 30 October - Saturday, 22 December 2018.
Ready to apply? Please continue...
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 02 9727 3928 (Tuesday - Saturday)
(Note: you cannot save this form so it may be a good idea to draft your answers in a word document first)